Monday, March 3, 2014

Meer Turns the Tables

     When people visit Christianville and hear that there is a microbiology lab here, they start asking questions about what we do, followed by questions about what we can do for them and their church, school, orphanage, community, etc. The requests usually center on water quality. Maybe they dug a well and want us to test the well water or a water source that the community uses. So we designed a formula to provide water testing as a fee-for-service. We are careful to explain exactly what we can do (microbiological testing) and what we do not do (chemical water analysis). The fee covers the cost of materials and reagents as well as a salary for a technician we can now pay to do the work. It is a win-win. We provide a service to the community and the fees provide work for the Haitian technician that we trained.

A well in Lulay

     Sunday afternoon, I was working in the lab writing a paper. There was a knock on the door (the door is locked, access restricted to lab personnel only). I opened the door and standing there were two blans, gentlemen in tee-shirts that announce their affiliation with some organization. They asked for Dale, a construction guy who works for Christianville and who lives in a house down the road. I directed the gentlemen towards Dale’s house. I asked if they were staying at our guesthouse. They weren’t they just wanted to talk to Dale about water purification. I thought maybe they were looking for someone to test their water. After all, they knocked on the lab door. But they asked for Dale. I was confused. Why were they here? They explained that they install (sell) a water purification system that uses electrolysis to convert table salt into chlorine. The chlorine is then added to the water. I’ve heard of the method, it is a little costly and requires a source of electricity. They told me they had installed one in a community close by that is supported by a church in Arkansas. I never heard of the community or the church. They gentlemen were from Indianapolis with an organization I never heard of. They asked how we purify our water. I told them we used chlorination at the well and distribution through our network. They said thank you and them walked in the opposite direction from where Dale lives. I returned to the lab. Then it hit me – they were salesmen! The visit was a sales call! On a Sunday afternoon! They were trying to sell me their chlorination system. Maybe they knew Dale, maybe not. But they showed up at the gate to Christianville, the guards let them in (two blans in a rental car, that gets you in, no questions asked) and they came banging on the lab door to sell their water purification system. I was a little irritated. I went back to my work.
A well in Lulay

     After they left me, the two gentlemen went to the guesthouse. I heard from Dana later that they also made their pitch to my friends who were working there. Michael offered them a cold glass of our water. Then Meer arrived. The two salesmen pitched Meer. He listened carefully. Then Meer turned the tables. “How do you know your system is working?” Meer asked them. “Did you do microbiological tests?” “No”, they replied. So Meer explained how we do water testing for microbial pathogens and asked them if they would like to have their water tested, for a fee. They ordered two bottles for testing two water samples. Meer walked into the lab grabbed two bottles and two zip lock bags and walked back out. He walked back in and tossed the money on the table and told Pierre to write up the order for testing their water.

     I viewed the salesmen’s visit as an annoying interruption. Meer saw it as an opportunity and sold them on ordering some tests. I guess I still have a lot to learn about working in Haiti. Next time a blan comes knocking at my door, I’ll ask them if they want to have their water tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment